Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wonderland


She began chasing the rabbit long before she stumbled upon the tea party. It was a call she was born to answer, pulling her out of the tall grass in pursuit of purity and purpose. Before long she was shrunk and stretched, confused and contorted, all for the prize of running by his side. But she was never quite quick enough. And eventually, finding herself exhausted from the chase, she stopped to rest.

It was no accident she found her respite in the most unlikely of places - a table set for many, yet permissable to few. No wonder she found comfort in his ramblings; a friend amongst the chipped and mismatched dishes. And no coincidence that she collapsed into the chair next to him. Because it was a seat at his side that she was meant for all along. Not a temporary fancy, but a home amid the madness they secretly shared.  A home. 


I've known for so long that I didn't belong, didn't fit in, didn't add up the way most of the good people that populate my world do.  So I fought it and faked it, as best I could.  Recited the poems, curtsied politely.  A world built by someone else's rules kept me always teetering and ill-balanced, held together by others' good intentions.  Inevitably, a house made of cards can't withstand the wind.   The words stop making sense and the pretense wears you down to the nub.
Eventually, the Queen of Hearts always finds you.

So I'm reconstructing on a new premise.  Assuming the uncommon, accepting my unique, embracing Wonderland.


The lyrics to Avril Lavigne's song "Alice" and their delivery (see the video above) are today's anthem, as I pursue my purpose in the most unlikely places. You're welcome to join me.  There are seats enough for all at this tea party.


1 comment:

  1. Wow you are an amazing writer. I love the parts about 'a friend among the chipped and mismatched dishes' and 'embracing Wonderland'. I think this is a great way of looking at the story of Alice and how it applies to you, to us the readers. It also helps me see how courageous Alice really was in accepting herself and her friends for who they are and standing up against the decriers.

    ReplyDelete