Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Going Rogue (Why I Pierced)



FAQ for Lauren's Recently Acquired Eyebrow Ring

"Did it hurt?"

Yes.  Especially the last part, when the fat needle broke through from the inside out.  The dude with the abundant dreds pulled back in a neat bun on top of his head called me "honey" and told me to breathe in deep and since he'd already driven the point in I figured the worst was over and I was wrong.  But my brother and sister-in-law held my hand, which was both tender and comforting.  Thanks, T and K.
I'd also like to say that I was super hardcore and did not even wince.  However, my deep breath was very breathy.

"Does it hurt now?"

Nope.  Except when Gabby crawls into bed with us after a nightmare and snuggles her tiny body up against mine and dozes for a short while before needing to shift positions, at which point she flings her arms wildly to give her roll-over the proper momentum, her left hand connecting with my cheek, forehead and, most unfortuantely, my left eyebrow.  Then it hurts like hell.

"What does your husband think?"

He says it's sexy. 
But then again, I am his only source of carnal revelry, so he aint no fool.
Here I feel I should add that his opinion regarding my eyebrow ring is one of the very few I care much about (aside from my own, of course) so the rest of you are welcome to hate, love, envy, despise or entertain a weird desire to lick it, for all I care.  It mattereth not to me.

 And lastly, my father's broken-hearted imploration:  "Why Lauren?  Why?"

Oh my.  For starters, I'll tell you what I told about a hundred of my neighbors and friends last week when my ecclisiastical leader was courageous enough to give our family the pulpit for an entire Sunday meeting.  My explanation went like this:

"You may have noticed that I recently acquired a new piece of jewlery which I understand some of you might not agree with.  That's OK.  Believe it or not, it is serving as a much-needed source of emotional therapy for me.  So if it helps, feel free to think of it as a medical device, there to improve my mental health."
Ba-dum-bum-ching!
 
 
 

(me and my sis being major dorks.  she's also good for my mental health)
 
That's right, ladies and gents.  My sister's not the only funny one in the family.  Don't forget to tip your waiters!

But honestly, it's a pretty accurate explanation.  Here's another one: about six months ago I broke.  Shattered, really, into a million tiny, jagged edged pieces.  I broke so hard, in fact, that I could no longer piece myself back together again (as I have been doing for as long as I can remember).  At first it was unbearably frightening.  My world withered, drained of its color, filled to overflowing with pain and I couldn't explain why.  No matter where or how hard I searched, I could not find joy or comfort or even peace.  I could not quiet the incessant panic, could not fight the dark and dragging, could not stop the black hole that had opened in me from sucking away every ounce of the precious hope I had once held in safe harbor.

And when I looked in the mirror, I could not recognize myself.
Who was I?  Was I who my parents needed me to be?  Who my church leaders wanted to see?   Who I thought my husband deserved?   Who I wished my friends to want?  Was I a million different things to a million different people, and nothing to myself?

So it goes with those robbed of childhood, when others' needs are how you learn to define yourself.  (Here I'll let you create a palatable elaboration of your own because anything said on such matters would only serve to distract from my point, as well as deal needless blows.  Use that marvelous imagination of yours to fill in the blanks)
The very first time I met my therapist she looked straight at me and said, "This has been coming at you for 30 years, hon.  You're damn lucky not to have fallen farther, hit harder, splattered right onto the proverbial pavement after walking the plank that you did for so long."  Lucky... not exactly how I felt at that moment, if I'm being super honest.   I'll admit I dragged my heals finding the silver lining, but I've got my eye on it now and yes, am grateful that my broken bits were given refuge in the most gentle, most merciful and, without a doubt, most unlikely places.


I realized that I had spent 33 years defining myself by the things I hoped would bring me the approval of others.  It was a pursuit which had left me exhausted, empty and full of loathing for both myself and the world around me.  Worst still, it was a lie, a sham, a hastily-made shelter I took refuge under that slowly became too heavy to uphold - pressing and crushing until there was nothing left but rubble.  In the strong arms of those who truly loved me, I curled inward and found rest.  respite.  rescue.

The winter passed.  And the spring.  I went to school.  I went to therapy.  I went to Oregon.  I went to 2-hour yoga classes.  I went to the Sundance Film Festival.  I went to the Snow Patrol concert.  I went to the Holi celebration.  All the while, looking for myself.  Finding a piece here - a piece there.  Gathering, collecting.  Soon enough I was ready to rebuild.
But my fears remained.  Was I headed back to the easy path, creating the girl the world wanted me to be?  The temptation to willingly do so was great.  The possibility that I would end up there without realizing it was even greater.  I had to truly let go of my need for acceptance.  I had to know that however I rebuilt would be good enough for me.  Just me.

 I decided to force my own hand.  I did something I've always wanted to do, but never felt I could because I feared rejection.  When I was 15 there was a girl in my debate class with an eyebrow ring.  She was beautiful, kind, confident, open-hearted and soooo uber-cool.  She was everything I wanted to be but didn't know how.  I secretly suspected that her (super) power came from her eyebrow ring, because it was bold and unique and said to the world that she didn't need their approval.  She liked herself.  And I wanted that.

So, 18 years later, I pierced.
 


I'd like to say it's been nothing but sweet smelling, perpetually blooming, red red roses ever since.  There have definitely been high points, for sure.  But there have also been lows -  difficult conversations, the loss of a few friends, some cold shoulders.  Not everyone is capable of accepting something they find unacceptable, even in someone who's heart they know.  So be it.

 

I figure, if you can't love me with one tiny little hoop on my face, you never truly loved me in the first place.  Better to know and go my own way.





21 comments:

  1. love you lauren! always have, always will!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you back, Auntie Sue! Thanks for all the support, friendship and super awesome hugs you give.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Beautifully written. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have continued success finding freedom being you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being so honest! I have always admired you and that won't change! I'm sure this post wasn't easy but I love the fact that you express who you are and what you feel! That takes a really big person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially I thought this post would be really hard to write but I feel like I've finally been able to let go and just be me. That made it easy. And knowing that I've got a sweet friend like you to love me no matter what helps too! Thanks hon!

      Delete
  4. Lauren, there are so many things about this post that I love, but mostly these two: First, that you have the courage to empower yourself, if only symbolically, by something so simple and innocent as an eyebrow ring; Second, that you are teaching others that love cannot be awarded based upon judgement. Kudos! :) -Jackson Law

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackson! What a pleasant surprise! I miss our late-night Scrabble matches, among many other things about you, and truly hope you are well. And I think you really hit the nail on the head - love always comes from a pure place, but can be quickly contorted into something else by judgement, expectations, etc. I've been guilty of it way too much in my life. It's something I want to remember each day, every time I see my little hoop.
      Hugs to you, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Gosh I love you. I wish i were there to come hug on you, eat chocolate and tell you how I have always wanted a nose ring but never got one for the exact reasons you've stated.
    You are so special to me and I bet you don't even know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kim, I feel exactly the same. I know we've only been a small part of eachother's lives, but I have been so grateful for your presence in mine and hold you close to my heart. Thank you for this comment - it really touched me.

      Delete
  6. You could NEVER disappoint me with anything you do. To a great YW whom I was privileged to teach and who became the best camp leader ever! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My how I miss those carefree days of YW and girl's camp! You were such an awesome leader and I cherish those memories dearly. I'm so glad that we've stayed in touch over the years - you continue to inspire me to this day! Love you Lisa.

      Delete
  7. Lauren,

    I get it. I know you may know a bit of my past which includes the traumatic and early death of my father as well as sexual abuse. I tried for years to please and fix those that I loved that we're broken...but how could I when I was so broken myself? I realize now that that was also breaking me more and preventing me from figuring out who I was on my own terms. I got my eyebrow pierced in highschool (maybe I was that cool girl you speak of :) ), and I got a lot of good but more negative responses...as if it is anyone's choice what you do to your body?! Rumors flew around Davis High that suddenly I was some kind of slut and smoked pot...all just because of that titanium loop over my eye. It was empowering to stick

    ReplyDelete
  8. ....it to what society determines what is beautiful or not. I also subsequently went on to shave my head, gauge my ears, and pierce my lip. After starting counseling a few years back I learned that piercing and tattooing can be a form of cutting if done at moments of extreme stress and betrayal...which I realized completely applied to me. But all the same...it was cathartic and what I needed at the time to release those emotions. Good luck to you in your journey for peace and healing. And anyone that give you crap you can send my way...and they aren't your real friends anyway. Rock that ring sis! Loves~Allison M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, Thank you for being courageous enough to share your experiences and feelings with me here. It hurts my heart a bit to read your comment but I know, in many ways, we are sister veterans fighting the same war. Let's both keep our heads above water and not let the bastards win, ok?

      With much love, Lauren

      Delete
  9. Only God knows how much I love and adore you. Even if I didn't understand why you got it, and wasn't lucky enough to be the one married to you, I would still find it sexy and would feel an uncontrollable desire to 'lick it'. - Love Buh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always know just the right thing to say. This comment will have me smiling and blushing til we're old and gray, darling. I love you more than there are words to express.

      Delete
  10. Lauren, I read this post on my phone while on the road and wanted to wait until I was home to comment properly because it really touched me. your way with words never ceases to amaze me. You have always had a talent for writing and expressing yourself and you did this beautifully. You are a strong woman!

    You are one of my oldest friends and are present in many of my memories of childhood and school years that involved that ever-evolving, oft-awkward process of growing into our own skin. Which is still continuing for me as well even as we are well into our thirties. Love the eyebrow ring, what it means and I wish you only the best moving forward. I'd love to catch up with you in person sometime if you're ever up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the world of you, pierced or not. Your writing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have to tell you, after your piercing, i DO look at you differently. i now see a more brave and courageous girl, determined to be her own person, and really loving it. i hope when i asked you why, you didnt feel any of the negative energy and pressure that you seem to have felt from so many others. in fact, you have helped give me a measure of courage. thank you for that, and congratulations to you for finding your own joy-in the coolest and funkiest way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I may not agree with your choice of "medical devices," but I love you Lauren so much. How could I not love you since our Heavenly Father loves you? It is my hope that you find answers to your questions and come to remember who you truly are - that is a daughter of a loving Heavenly Father! If ever you feel that you are forgetting who you are, talk to your Heavenly Father because He will always tell you the absolute truth. Please talk to Him! He wants to hear your triumphs, trials, and everything in between. He wants to know how you feel, what drives you crazy, and everything in between. I came to understand the power of prayer during those years right after my divorce from my first husband. I lost who I was, and I felt that I deserved no one's love. Prayer was tough because it meant acknowledging that at least one Person loved me no matter what, but through that acknowledgement I found myself and realized how important it is to have a strong relationaship with my Heavenly Father. All I can say is, please talk to Him! He will listen. You are beautiful. I love you, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just going to comment all over your blog today!

    You are a beautiful writer. Truly. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete